ST JOSEPH PASTORAL COUNCIL MINUTES
- Opening Prayer – Msgr. Tom Flach
- < > Sue Humphrey – President, Msgr. Thomas Flach , Curt Cox , Cindy Yong - CPM, Shannon Sullins-CYM , Jenny Martin – CRE, Monica Jones, and Debra Bertrand - Secretary< > Moy Kilpatrick, Elizabeth Huhman and Sara Gordon Approval of July Meeting Minutes: Minutes were approved. Motion was made to accept the minutes by Curt Cox and seconded by Monica Jones.
- Old Business:
- Wine Tour - 56 people from St. Joseph and St Paul went on the tour of the three wineries, Russell Hill, Blue Sky and Starview.It was a picture perfect day for the tour and everyone got to meet and bond with new people over wine and good food.The common suggestions for the next year’s tour was to visit only two wineries so we can spend more time at each one or make it a longer day if we do three.
- Chicken and Beer Dance -The attendance was good with over 90 people from both parishes there.The change from a live band to a DJ was great the music was a great mix of different styles and decades and most everybody got up to dance at least a couple of times. John and Lori Power gave a dance class that everyone really enjoyed and everyone enjoyed the evening.Thank you to Andrea Arnold and Family for all their work.
- Mass Schedule – May have to tweak the schedule. The time coming from Johnston City to Marion if a little rushed. Will keep it as it until combined councils is in place and they can decide. We may have to move one of the Masses up by 15 minutes. There will be a 12:10 Mass at St. Paul on Wednesday’s when available. Thanksgiving there will be a 6pm Mass at St. Paul on Wednesday evening and 9am Mass at St. Joseph. December 8th Mass will be 12:10pm and 6:30pm at St. Joseph and 6pm at St. Paul. Christmas Eve Mass – 5pmand 10pm at St. Joseph and 7:30pm at St. Paul. Mass will be at 10:30 am at St. Joseph on Christmas Day. The regular schedule for the Masses will be in effect for New Years Day. The 5pm and the 10:30 am Masses have been well attended. Some of the Parishioners are going to St. Paul and some are going to Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Herrin.
- New Business:
- Report from Parish Partnership Council meeting October 19, 2016 – The meeting was successful.The Mass schedule was discussed with no changes at this time.Parish Councils from St. Joseph and St. Paul will combines with an effective date of January 1, 2017.Decision was made to have a joint committee to meet and review the by-laws and draft a new constitution for the Parish Partnership Council.A Constitutional By-Laws Committee was formed and consists of Matt Lees, Sheila Dingrando, Betty Blades and Bruce Steh.
- New Organist – Justin Nehrkorn.He is currently working for both Parishes and will be paid separately by each.He is currently not available for the 10:30 Mass but his schedule will be adjusted in the near future.He will receive $25,000/year for the 3 Masses – St. Joseph will pay for 2 and St. Paul for one which is less than what Alex received when he was here.He has a music background but it will be a short time before he can be full time.
- Appointment of Deacon Ken Hilliard.He received his letter from the Diocese and it was read to the members of the Council.The Deacon is designated to both Parishes.His appointment date is 11/20/2016.He can preach on Sundays and Holy Days.He is not given compensation for his ministry.We pay for any Retreats that he and his wife attend.He will preach once a month at all Masses.He will work with the Liturgy Committee as well as the Ministry to the Sick and Homebound at both Parishes.He will also assist with RCIA.He can Witness Marriage and Baptize.Things that he cannot perform:Anoint the Sick or Reconciliation. He is a convert at 23 years old and became a Deacon in 2008.He cannot preside at Mass.He will preach this weekend.
- Suggestions for New Parish Trustees – The Bishop is meeting with Parishes and he has discovered that many have Trustees appointed for many years.We received a letter from the Bishop suggesting that we begin the process of nominating new Trustees.Our current Trustees will remain on the Finance Council.Msgr. Flach needs to send in 2 names to the Bishop.
- Parish Partnership Bulletin – January 2017.Cindy Yong, Sandy West, Sheila Dingrando and LaVerne Williams all met last week.They had samples of bulletins from other Parishes who had joined together.They will be open to suggestions.LaVerne will put together 3 samples and they will decide.They will integrate all information and not just add a page with the individual information.Bulletins will be shipped directly to St. Paul and there will be a cost associated that St. Paul will pay.
- St. Joseph/St. Paul Parish Partnership Council Constitution – A draft of the Constitution has been completed and will be ready for discussion at the meeting tomorrow at St. Joseph at 6:00pm.
- Dissolution of the Pastoral and Parish Councils of St. Joseph and St. Paul – February 2017.This is the tentative date if all goes as planned.It is felt that by that time there will be no need to continue both.
- Liturgy, Stewardship and Vocation Committees can become one for both Parishes.Steve Huhman will attend a meeting regarding the Vocation Committee this weekend.
- Faith Formation- Adults and Children, Building Committee and Finance Council will be separate for each Parish.
- Resignation of Jenny Martin as CRE - Jenny was thanked for her leadership as CRE.She was a real gift to the Parish.Due to personal needs and demands at her place of employment, it is necessary for her to resign her position.December 15, 2016 will be her last PSR and this is her last Parish Council meeting.A Search Committee will be formed after the first of the year to find a CRE.In the meantime Angela Lees will fill in and start with Vacation Bible School.Hope is to have a permanent replacement by spring.
7. Committee Reports:
- Finance Council – Financial Report was distributed. A concern was voiced regarding the need to address state regulations. It is necessary to compensate non-exempt staff for the hours that they work. Laverne’s position is the only one that is affected by this regulation. Implementation of the regulation is to begin on 12/1/16. Msgr. Flach will address the Finance Council regarding this.
- Liturgy – Sue Humphrey spoke with Lori Power and they are excited about moving forward with their plans. Lori will contact Wayland Sims and work with him.
- < > – The committee will meet tomorrow. The committee is working well when someone approaches with needs. They are getting ready to do Caritas Christmas Eve and seasonal food drive. Sue reported that she will be resigning from this committee and Sue Senna will be the new chairperson.Stewardship Committee – Monica spoke with Elizabeth and they will start back meeting again next month and will invite St. Paul to attend and begin combining committees into one. Will also start putting blurbs in Bulletin again.
- Welcome Committee – Cindy asked LaVerne for names of new parishioners. Cindy reported that Steve Bly talked about doing another “Meet and Greet” so the new parishioners can meet with Msgr. Flach.
- Building Committee – No Report
- Coordinator of Parish Ministries – Cindy Yong – Parish Revitalization – On October 8th I attended a presentation put on by the Diocese on Parish Revitalization at St. Nicholas in O’Fallon. The speaker was Rich Curran, the founder and Exec Director of Parish Success Group, a group that provides consulting, strategic planning and ministry training for parishes. He spoke about issues that parishes are encountering, what some of the obstacles are and some strategies on how to make the parishes more vibrant. I myself need more time to digest and go over my notes from the presentation so I can give Fr. Tom a more thoughtful recap. However, there are two things that were mentioned by Rich Curran that stood out for me; the first being parishes need to move from Maintenance to Mission and secondly, does money drive our Mission or does our Mission drive the money. Julie Novy Coordinator of Lay Ministry and Catechist Certification from the Diocese has asked for some feedback on the presentation and what the possible next steps could be in helping the parishes. I will be responding to her email.
V Encuentro Presentation - Sue Sena and I participated in a presentation on V Encuentro at St. Mary’s in Mt. Vernon on Nov which was sponsored by the Hispanic Ministry Office of the Diocese. An introduction to what V Encuentro was made. The goal of V Encuentro is to discern ways in which the Church can better respond to Hispanic/Latino presence. An overview of the program and what samples sessions look like were presented and discussed. Afterwards all the attendees participated in a sample session.
The Four Signs steering committee has met and discussed logistics for the event, tickets sales, food, etc.
Hopkins and me. We explained what we had done at our parish with the Rediscover Catholicism
Book Study the fruits that study has borne, our next steps such as the Four Signs book study and
presentation. And the possibilities of using this model for the renewal on the Vicariate level. We
distributed some book and sold 4 tickets for our March 4th Four Signs Presentation.
The Our Lady of Guadalupe Mass and Fiesta will take place on Dec 11.
9. Coordinator of Youth Ministries – Shannon Sullins – Currently working on the 1/21/2016 Trivia Night. The next CAT meeting will be this Thursday at 6:00 pm. Womens Guild gave them 6 tickets for the Pregnancy Matters Gala on 12/3/2016 and 5 youth are attending. She still has a few tickets. Jo Mayer did CPR and defib training; 23 youths attended the training and were very engaged. She explained where the defibrillator is located in the church and showed them 2 different ones. December 9-11 nad 16-18 is the Miners Winter Wonderland with skating , etc. And they are deciding what date to participate. Prayer service for All Souls ended at St. Joseph Church and they had mementos of someone they wanted to remember. She is starting to work on the summer calendar. They will be at the Ministerail Alliance for Thanksgiving dinner. They are low on food but do have enough volunteers.
10. Coordinator of Religious Education – Jenny Martin – PSR is happening. There are 40-45 youths pre K-6 with one combined class of K and 1st grade. Faith Family Fellowship began in October with 57 people attending. We prayed the Rosary. There will be another one tomorrow and will have pizza and do Advent activities. Families will work together and list what they want to do for the 24 days. They decide and put in a jar and each day they will remove one task and do it. Angela Lees is helping Jenny. She will share a PowerPoint as to what Advent really is. They will move family Mass to the 11th.
11. Pastor’s Comments – None
12. Adjourn – Next meeting – December 20, 2016 at 6:00 pm at Rectory.
13. Closing Prayer – Msgr. Flach